If an Indian tribe, worked through each of the bureaucratic process with all the Bureau of Indian Affairs and can build an internet casino in downtown Enid, are you for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos around the state, you probably run into other folks you know from Enid, partaking inside recreation provided by the casinos. These are the same people that have left our town and therefore are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping with the stores, eating on the restaurants, and staying with the hotels within the area.
A brief history:
The power to run bingo games was among the many concessions created to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person developed a bingo game that appeared to be a slot machine game. We supply seen small digital bingo card on the top corner with the display screen of the slot machine. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos started to spring up everywhere. After all, you had been still playing bingo, just in the new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact involving the tribes as well as the State of Oklahoma allowed using Vegas style slot machines, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and casinos were built and they are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino can only be built within historic tribal boundaries after which placed in the trust with all the U.S. government. Since Enid doesn't have any casino, is that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it was found, that before the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part with the Cherokee Outlet, occupied from the Cherokee people following Treaty of New Echota along with the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the spot was a hunting ground in the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us to be within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive elements of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are taken to operate tribal governments and programs because of its citizens. In addition, a portion from the revenue is split with the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes use the revenues to improve infrastructure.
3. Related tourist attractions are built.
4. Jobs are created.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found that over 80 percent of the visitors to casinos were interested in also doing something other than gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions such as family water parks.
9. The here casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian business people.
10. Casinos give you a magnet for outside money that would not previously exist.
11. Local resident who employed to travel outside with the area now stays within the location.
12. More construction jobs are made building casinos.
13. Gambling is definitely an accepted opportinity for governments to boost funds. It is seen as a source of money which is easier to obtain since it is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the following businesses showed an surge in profits, attendance, and customers after a casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more regularly
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative aspects of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge on what well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependency.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time used on useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour huge amount of money into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes are also influencing gambling and also other policies affecting Native Americans by handing quite a bit to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is definitely an increase inside following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is named an action addiction. When gambling, the hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles often, it contributes to tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, so it takes more gambling far better stakes, to get the equal high. Recent studies show that video slot gambling lights up the human brain exactly as cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an online casino were to petition to make downtown Enid, an amount be your opinion? Do you think it will enhance our community or bring social problems we might not want to handle?